For the shrimp
2 doz. jumbo shrimp – peeled, deveined, tails intact
1 cup Eaton’s Original Jamaican Jerk Tomato Ketchup
Juice of 1 lime
16 oz. grated coconut flakes
1cup corn starch
2 eggs well beaten
1 tsp. salt
Vegetable oil for deep frying
FFor the dipping sauce
1 cup of Eaton’s Original Jamaican Jerk Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp. Eaton’s Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce (or to taste)
2 tbsp. Eaton’s West Indian Papaya Chutney
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro if desired
1. To butterfly the shrimp: run a small sharp knife down the outside centre of each shrimp, do not cut all the way through, just to open and flatten.
2. Mix the lime juice with Eaton’s Jerk Tomato Ketchup and marinate the shrimp for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Combine all dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
4. Place shredded coconut and cornstarch in separate shallow dishes. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
5. Take shrimp out of marinade and pat dry. Dredge, each shrimp in cornstarch, shake, dip in beaten egg and then coat on both sides in coconut flakes.
6. Fry 3 – 4 shrimp at a time in hot oil, 350F, for 2 mins. or until cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
7. Serve with Dipping Sauce, garnish with cilantro if desired.